Thursday, June 12, 2008

Detective Nicole is on the Case

For those of you who don't know this about me, I used to LOVE Nancy Drew. In fact, one of my childhood friends and I attempted to write our own Nancy Drew story. I know I know....DORK! I guess some part of me still hasn't let go of my inner Nancy Drew. So, as the parking issues surfaced again I decided to play detective (I'm thinking a career change may be in order).

Let me recap for you. Harley Fest will be in Waukesha and as a result many of the downtown streets will be closed. There will also be (supposedly) a lot of people downtown which will limit parking for wedding guests. We decided to make it easy on everyone and get parking in the parking structure right across the street. Not as easy as I thought it would be. This is where things get kinda hairy. Once the Harley organizers gave me the ok to get the parking, the City wouldn't give The Rotunda parking passes. I then was told on May 13 that the owner of The Rotunda had signed a contract with the City which guaranteed us spots at a certain price. I was told they needed to be prepaid and as soon as I got them that information we would be set and the tokens would be in the mail to me the following week. This is directly out of my email from her "Lets get this taken care of this week so we have everything set on our end." Obviously I called her immediately and gave her the credit card information to pay for the spots. I then was assured everything was taken care of and I would have the tokens shortly.

At the beginning of last week I emailed her asking about the tokens because I still hadn't received them and was putting the invites together and wanted to include them. She told me that if I didn't have them by the end of the week that they would be in the mail. Then on Friday I got a copy of a letter from the City regarding parking for the wedding sent to The Rotunda.

"Therefore, we are requesting information from you about your immediate need for parking within these facilities so that we will be able to determine the usage and pricing accordingly. Please advise the number of spaces need, length of time, and specific date(s) in your request. Due to the upcoming events in August, we ask that you submit your request in writing, no later than June 13, 2008 to the above address."

This is where Nancy Drew kicked in. I called the Director of Public Works who proceeded to tell me that no one has contacted them regarding parking which is why they sent the letter. SO giving Katrina (the lady at the Rotunda) the benefit of the doubt, I call the Parking Supervisor on Monday just to make sure Katrina hadn't contacted them on Friday after getting the letter. She too tells me she has not heard from Katrina. I said well how is that possible since I already paid them for parking passes. She told me to talk to Katrina and see what happened and to get a request in ASAP. So I call Katrina. Her voicemail says she is on vacation this week. So I left a message, but then also called her bosses office to talk with him. They directed me to some other lady. She didn't know what was going on because they haven't gotten a letter yet and asked me to fax this letter to her. After I fax the letter she says they haven't been checking Katrina's mail which is why they probably hadn't seen the letter. She also started writing up the request to give to the City. In the meantime Katrina calls and leaves a message telling me tokens are ready and I can stop and pick them up. She also says "there is no need to keep calling everyone at the City, its all taken care of." After I fax the letter to this other lady she says that they haven't been checking Katrina's mail which is why they hadn't seen the letter.

Hmmmm....good thing I check my mail and started calling around or they would have had no clue. I had decided last week that I was being lied to. SO since Katrina said the tokens would be available for me to pick up (even though she originally said they would have been mailed already), I decided to call her bluff and pick them up. Lo and behold, there is nothing for me to pick up. I was told now that they had put in the written request, I have to wait for them to get the tokens. Interesting how that works. We will see how the next few days of the investigation unfold. I will keep you posted with any new developments in the case.

No comments: